To celebrate the release of Disney’s Zootropolis on 25th July, healthy chef Livia from Livia’s Kitchen has created a special Baked Carrot Cake recipe.
Livia who is a huge fan of the film and of course Judy Hopps, said,
“I absolutely love a moist cake rather than a dry, crumbly one, and carrot cake is one of the gooiest varieties when you get it right. Traditionally, it is the large amounts of butter mixed with the carrot that provides the moisture in a carrot cake, but, since I can’t eat dairy, I had to find another way to achieve this. This cake has the ideal level of moisture due to the finely ground almonds and carrot.”
BAKED CARROT CAKE
Makes an 18cm Double Layer Cake
- 480g ground almonds
- 80g buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 240g sultanas
- 480g carrots, finely grated
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 60g melted raw coconut oil
- 500ml maple syrup
- Softened coconut oil, for greasing the tins
To decorate cake:
- Cinnamon Cashew Cream (Recipe available in Livia’s book – page 53)
- Orange zest
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4. Grease two 18cm cake tins.
- Mix the ground almonds, flour, spices, salt and sultanas in a bowl.
- Add the grated carrot and orange zest and mix again.
- Add the oil and maple syrup and stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the two tins, making sure they have equal amounts.
- Smooth the top and bake in the oven for 1 hour, checking on them once 45–50 minutes has passed as they may need covering with foil for the remaining time.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool entirely in their tins. When you get them out they will still feel slightly moist in the middle, but they firm up a bit as they cool.
- Remove the cake from the tin and ice the top of the first cake with the Cinnamon Cashew.
- Cream, then stack the other cake on top and ice this with more frosting.
- Grate the orange zest over the top to decorate and for extra flavour.
Livia shares her passion and love for sweet treats that are completely healthy! Her food is now stocked in Selfridges, Planet Organic, Whole Foods amongst many other popular stores.