Try this crusty, buttery loaf recipe by Lizi’s, this hearty loaf recipe will make the perfect addition to picnic blankets and dining tables alike. Divinely moist and moreish, this granola bread has the perfect mix of flavour with a sweetness that makes it go perfectly with various cheeses.
Takes: 20m prep, plus rising time (about 2 ½ hours, plus 30-40m in the oven)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 cups water – lukewarm
- 1 tbsp honey or golden caster sugar
- 2 ½ cups strong white flour
- 1 ½ cups wholemeal flour
- 1 cup oats
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup Lizi’s Organic Granola
- Although active dry yeast is obviously a fabulous invention, we always prefer to add ours to water with either the sugar or honey in a small bowl – for about 10m until it goes frothy – so you can be sure it activated properly and your loaf will rise like a skyscraper.
- Whilst you are waiting for that to happen, in a freestanding mixer or large bowl add the two flours, oats and salt and give a good stir.
- Then using either a dough hook if you’re using a mixer or bare hands if you’re not, add the melted butter and the yeast mixture and knead for about 10m by hand, or for about 6m in a mixer. It should spring back when pushed.
- Then – if your biceps/mixer can take any more – add the granola and knead in thoroughly. Cover with a tea towel and allow the dough to rise in a warm place until double in size – about 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Next, knead again – either by hand of using the dough hook still – and then shape into a loaf shape on a greased or lined baking sheet.
- Allow to rise again for 1½ hour until it doubles in size again. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until hollow sounding when tapped. Cool, slice and enjoy.
Lizi’s Granola Range is available from Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Asda, Whole Foods, Co-op, Booths and all good health stores.
Flavours include: Organic, Original, Belgian Chocolate, Gluten Free, Treacle and Pecan, Passionfruit & Pistachio, Mango & Macadamia, Low Sugar and On The Go which is available in Original, Belgian Chocolate, Treacle and Pecan and now Original in Gluten Free.