Even though summer is coming to an end, autumn provides an opportunity for heartier dishes made with seasonal produce. Welcome the season into your kitchen with this Parmigiano Reggiano and Butternut Squash Soup. It’s the perfect recipe for a warm meal on a chilly night. This recipe serves 4-6 people.
- 150g Parmigiano Reggiano, with rind
- 25g butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded amd chopped into chunks
- 900ml hot vegetable stock
- 150 ml milk
- 4-6 slices French bread
- fresh parsley or thyme, chopped to garnish
- Reserve the rind from the Parmigiano Reggiano and cut it into chunks, then finely grate the cheese. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, and gently fry the onion for about three minutes until softened, but not browned
- Add the butternut squash, vegetable stock and Parmigiano Reggiano rind. Heat until the mixture is just simmering, then turn the heat to low and cook gently for about 20 minutes, partially covered, until the vegetables are soft and tender.
- Remove the rind from the saucepan, then transfer the soup to a blender or a food processor and add most of the grated cheese, reserving about 25g for garnishing. Blend the soup for 15-20 seconds, until completely smooth. Return it to the saucepan and add the milk. Stir thoroughly and reheat until piping hot. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Meanwhile, toast the slices of French bread, sprinkle the remaining Parmigiano Reggiano on top and grill until melted. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, then top each portion with one piece of French toast. Sprinkle fresh parsley or thyme and a little extra ground pepper, then serve.