British and National Wrestling Champion and owner of Right Path Fitness Keith McNiven has given us five exercise you can do on your morning commute:
1) PULL UP – a great one for the tube. Grab the bar (making sure it’s secure) and grip it about a shoulder-width apart. Hang from the bar. Raise your feet off the floor by bending your knees. Pull yourself up by pulling your elbows down to the floor. Try and pass the bar (without banging your head!) and repeat.
2) SEATED STRAIGHT LEG RAISE – waiting around is a big part of travelling to and from work each day, luckily this is the perfect time for leg raises. Start with your feet flat on the floor and your posture straight. Slowly lift your left foot off the floor whilst keeping your toes flat. Slowly lower your heel back towards the ground. Then repeat with your right leg. You could even risk doing this one when you don’t get your seat on the train, although that depends on your balance!
3) REVERSE DIPS – While sitting, place your hands shoulder width apart on the inside edge of the chairs with your fingers hanging over. Extend your legs and place your feet on the ground. Extending your arms completely, lift your body off the chair while keeping your chest up and your head facing forward. Slowly begin to lower your body by bending your arms at the elbow joint as you maintain an upright posture.
4) WALL SQUAT – a cheeky one for your morning commute, but one which is incredibly important for a toned bum When you’ve got some space, stand with your head and back against a wall. Position your feet shoulder-width apart, about 18 inches from the wall, and hold your arms out in front of you. Lower your body into a squat position until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Hold.
5) PLANK – this might be a little more difficult to get away with. Assume a modified push-up position with your elbows bent 90 degrees and both forearms resting on the floor. Position your elbows directly underneath your shoulders and look straight towards the floor. Your body should form a perfectly straight line from the crown of your head to your feet.
Right Path Fitness is a team of London-based Personal Training specialists committed to helping clients reach their full fitness potential in the most efficient and effective time possible.